Phone: (502) 584-7400
Fax: (502) 371-9241
David M. Cantor is a member of the Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Group of the firm. He concentrates his practice nearly exclusively in financial restructuring, bankruptcy, and commercial litigation matters in the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky and the Southern District of Indiana.
David is recognized as one of the region's most experienced practitioners in the areas of financial restructuring and bankruptcy. He has represented debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, and bankruptcy Trustees in virtually every chapter of bankruptcy. David has been an Adjunct Professor at the University of Louisville School of Law, teaching Debtor/Creditor law and is Board Certified in both business and consumer bankruptcy law by the American Board of Certification.
David has been a speaker at numerous continuing legal education seminars sponsored by the Kentucky Bar Association, Louisville Bar Association, University of Kentucky, Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, and the National Business Institute. He has published various articles on bankruptcy law topics. He is a member of the bankruptcy sections of the Kentucky, Louisville, Colorado, and Indiana Bar Associations and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell distinguished rating of AV Preeminent.
- David was named as one of the Top 50 Super Lawyers in Kentucky for 2016. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
- David has been recognized in Best Lawyers in America as a 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” in the practice area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Louisville.
- David has been named in Louisville Magazine as a "Top Lawyer" in Bankruptcy Law from 2006 through 2016. The Top Lawyers were picked by their peers.
- David has received the Continuing Legal Education Award, 2015 from the Kentucky Bar Association, 2015.
- David was named as a Top Rated Lawyer in Kentucky’s Legal Leaders in the area of Banking and Finance, Bankruptcy Law and Commercial Litigation, 2013. This honor is based on peer review.
- Named in Kentucky Super Lawyers Magazine in the area of Bankruptcy & Creditor / Debtor Rights from 2008 through 2021.
- In 2015, David was named one of the top 10 Super Lawyers in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- As a recognized advocate of the bar, David was a Member of the Sixth Circuit Merit Selection Panel for the Western District of Kentucky Bankruptcy Judge in 1998 and 1999, and was Chairman of the Panel for 2011.
- "Bankruptcy Law Update in Kentucky", Co-Author, National Business Institute, Inc., 1987
- "Basic Bankruptcy in Kentucky", National Business Institute, Inc., 1988
- "Basic Bankruptcy in Kentucky", National Business Institute, Inc., 1989
- "Bankruptcy Essentials '92", University of Kentucky, 1992
- "Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 13", Louisville Bar Association, 1994
- "Local Bankruptcy Practice: Surviving in the Jungles of Western Kentucky and Southern Indiana", Louisville Bar Association, 1994
- "Chapter 13 Practice", University of Kentucky, 1996
- "Bankruptcy Issues: Chapter 13 and Appellate Panels", Kentucky Bar Association, 1997
- "Small Business Cases under the BAPCPA", University of Kentucky, 2006
- "Basics of Bankruptcy and its effect on Real Estate Interests", 2012.
- Colorado Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Denver Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- Indiana Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- Louisville Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, N.D. of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- University of Louisville School of Law, Louisville, Kentucky, 1977
- University of Kentucky, 1974
- Financial Restructuring
- Commercial Litigation
- In re Smith, 95 B.R. 468 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 1988)
- In re Barnett, 95 B.R. 477 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 1988)
- In re Boddy, 950 F.2d 334 (6th Cir. 1991)
- In re H.J. Scheirich Co., 982 F.2d 945 (6th Cir. 1993)
- In re Tri-City Turf Club, Inc., 203 B.R. 617 (Bankr. E.D. Ky. 1996)
- In re Smith, 238 B.R. 664 (Bankr. W.D. Ky.. 1999)
- Lichtenstein v. Barbanel, 2005 WL 3479656 (6th Cir. 2005)
- Parker v. Brock, 2005 WL 2367610 (E.D. Ky. 2005)
- In re Craig, 334 B.R. 572 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2005)
- In re Lichtenstein, 2005 WL 1656924 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2005)
- In re Business Intelligent Systems, LLC, 325 B.R. 575 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2005)
- In re Mickler, 324 B.R. 305 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2005)
- In re Miller, 325 B.R. 178 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2005)
- In re Davis, 347 B.R. 607 (W.D. Ky. 2006)
- Lenarz v. Ragland, 2006 WL 435501 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2006)
- In re Parker, 2007 WL 2416173 (6th Cir. 2007)
- In re Tracey Broadcasting Corp., 2011 WL 3861612 (D. Colo)
- In re Seven Counties Services, Inc., 511 B.R. 431 (Bankr. W.D. Ky. 2014)
- Ky. Emples. Ret. Sys. v. Seven Cntys. Servs., 2016 U.S. Dist. Lexis 43390 (W.D.Ky. Civil Action No. 3:15-cv-25-DJH)
Seiller Waterman Pre and Post Bankruptcy Counseling
We are pleased to disclose that both the United States Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court deem our law firm a "Debt Relief Agency". We help people file for Bankruptcy Relief under the Bankruptcy Code.